What is OIL PULLING?

When I started following health blogs to help my search in finding what was going on in the healthy part of the world. The people who have been doing it longer then myself. Living a whole foods, natural way of life that is.

I've came across many different ideas on health and what makes a person healthy. To what they eat, put on their body or to the clothes they wear.

I will never judge a person from trying to be more natural. I might think they are crazy and going a little to far... and maybe that's what you might think of me. It's okay, I think that about a lot of other people too!

But why? They care about their health and body. Good for them. They might be more extreme then myself but that doesn't mean they are wrong... or right. Right?

There was this thing call "Oil pulling" that I found though some crazy health nut blogs and then the not so crazy health nut people too. The more normal people ;) When I first saw it I thought "That's probably not for me" and kept on scrolling through the page.

But the title "Oil pulling" kept finding it's way back to me! I decided to go ahead and just check it out and see what the heck this pulling oil thing was ....

Here's what I learned ....


1) It's like mouth wash, but with oil.

2) Coconut Oil has been found to be the best oil to use because of the health benefits. Though it started out with sesame oil or sunflower seed oil when first used.

3) It's been around for quite some time. It was used as a folk remedy by the Indians

4) You swish it around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes

5) It has been known to improve oral health along with the benefits of helping with headaches, migraines, asthma, acne and whitening teeth.

6) It works by pulling out toxins from your mouth

7) Though it's not proven to get rid of bad breath many people swear that it does.

8) It's best done on a empty stomach in the morning.


So I gave it a try! I thought I had used coconut oil for everything I could use it for, but I was wrong!

The way to "Oil Pull" is to take a teaspoon-tablespoon of coconut oil and swish it around in your mouth like mouth wash... BUT I will be very upfront with you. It's nothing like month wash. At first it's not... it's thick and can feel sort of gross..... But once you move it around a couple of times the oil gets melted and you can move it around easier.

I did this for 15-20 minutes.

My mouth didn't get as tired as I thought it would (That's just a side note!)

I then spit it out in the trash can. I've read not to spit it down the sink because of the toxins that are in your mouth afterwards! (Nut's right?!)

I've been doing this now for about 2 months. I'm not sure my teeth are any whiter but I do feel like I have better breath afterwards!

I had a sore tooth when I first started and after about 1 week of doing it the pain went away.

Oil pulling with coconut oil has been know to do many amazing things, I might not see or feel the difference right away but I know in the long run I'm not hurting myself by doing this but benefiting my body!

I decided to add some peppermint essential oil to add some extra benefits! It also helps with the bad breath.


If you want to give this a try make sure to get organic coconut oil and start slow by using only a teaspoon!

Tell me how you like it, do you think it could help with bad breath or whitening of teeth?

Before I end this post I want to share something I've been wanting to do.


I am still learning so much about my health and ways for everyone to be more aware of the choices they make and how it could affect their health. I have learned from reading many books, articles and studies done by the professionals. Though I am not yet a professional but dream to be. I feel like I have learned so much it would be wrong of me not to share what I believe to be true.

My goal by the end of next year is to be studying to become a Holistic Nutritionist! Though I would love to have started yesterday I know the timing has to be right for us as a family. With Cain full time school I am willing to wait until we have some things under our belt before I jump into schooling.

I am very excited about it though and can't wait to share more with my family and friends.

Until then I will be soaking up on all the knowledge my brain can take.


I decided to open the table up for anyone who might have questions about health or what to do to make the first steps to eating right.

I would love to share what I know and also come along side and learn together about bettering yourself and family.

If you have any questions feel free to comment below!

I will answer the questions to my best knowledge and understanding!

Until next time,

Mrs. Grogg

A link for more information on Oil Pulling <<<





No comments